Sunday, April 6, 2014

Planter Boxes

While walking around the garden section in Walmart, I realized why pay $6-$15 on a small planter when I can make one myself!  Nicole and I made it to Home Depot to buy everything we needed to make planter boxes. Nicole decided she wanted to plant veggies and since I'll be away for a couple weeks during the summer months I figured flowers would be the best way to go. 









Supply List for one flower box:
2- 2ft Ceder wood pieces
6- 3ft ceder wood pieces
4- 18-Gauge Framing Angles
32 wood nails
2 trash bags
Drill
Staple gun
Potting soil
flowers/veggies

Since we are girls with husbands deployed we had Home Depot cut the wood for us. The sign says they cut the first 2 cuts free and each cut after that is .25cents, not sure if its every Home Depot but I've never been charged for other cuts.
We did the outside of the box first, here is where we need two 3ft boards and two 2ft boards. On each side of the framing angle there are three holes. We put a screw in each one to make sure its sturdy.
After the four boards are connected, it was time to screw the bottom ones on. These will be the extra four 3ft pieces. Screw the wood into the frame, one nail on each end works just fine. There is about a half inch gap between each board for water to drain.
There are few ways to do the next step. The guy at Home Depot told us that we can use garden paper, rocks, trash bags or Styrofoam to line the bottom but warned us that garden paper could get moldy with the amount of rain we get here in Washington. We chose to use trash bags because we had them at home already. We used a staple gun & then poked holes in the bottom of the bags so the water can drain.
Now its time to put the garden bed where you want it because the next step is filling it with dirt. I used miracle grow potting soil.
If you are planting flowers this is the fun part on how you want your flower garden to look. I chose red, white and blue flowers. We are a Navy family and my husband is coming home soon so its part of the decorations!! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! You girls and power tools. I'm so jealous. I'm lucky I can hammer a nail into the wall!

    ReplyDelete